INTERVIEW WITH :
PRIMARY NEW LABEL "PAKTORY"
Primary’s new label PAKTORY, an expansion of subcultural spectrum of art.
“ It is a subculture label where we pursue the expansion of subcultural spectrum of art,
ranging from not only music but visual design, video, and fine arts. “
First of all, thank you for having us. Can you introduce the label “PAKTORY COMPANY”?
- PAKTORY COMPANY enables singer-songwriters and producers with talent and clear identity to practice their creative works. Our ultimate goal is to create diversification of Korea’s music market. Moreover, it is a subculture label where we pursue the expansion of subcultural spectrum of art, ranging from not only music but visual design, video, and fine arts.
What is the meaning behind the label name?
- What influenced me the most when coming up with the name of our label was Andy Warhol’s social group called “factory”. I was deeply moved by the fact that artists in various fields got together and started up a greatly developed cultural spectrum, by sharing their opinions freely. I wanted to make Primary’s factory, therefore the name “PAKTORY COMPANY” was created.
If we are not mistaken, the label is created by Primary, can you tell us how and why the label was born?
- I think that one of the most important part in my music career is to find new artists, creating creative works with them while sharing good energy. Most importantly, that same energy we share needs to be shared with the public. By the time my contract with my previous label neared its end, I started to seriously consider that matter. After numerous considerations, I decided to make my own label to create a space and system, where I can find, work and grow with new artists I discover.
As of now, there are only two people, Primary and Ron. What are your next plans to expand the label name?
- There will be far more collaborations with different artists and also those produced by artists from our own label. You can look forward to our works filled with new trials and unique attempts.
“ Making Primary’s own label appeared attractive because much clearer and
vivid musical color and direction can be shown. “
You were signed under an another label before that. Was creating your own label always obvious for you?
- Making Primary’s own label seemed attractive because much clearer and vivid musical color and direction can be shown. In the previous label, I was able to show such color only through releasing albums, but now we can approach the public by releasing diverse contents from different aspects and formats. After all I would say that is the most appealing part.
Will your role in the label be more like a producer, or do you want to do music like before as well?
- I will take the role of the label’s producer within the process of sharing opinion and creating works with artists in our label, and as an individual artist when working on pieces with “Primary’s” name up front. However, I think my role as the label’s producer will take a substantial part, in order to develop the label’s color and spread music produced by new casted artists.
Ron, you recently released your first single “Passing By” under PAKTORY COMPANY, which is also the ending title of the new film “Time to hunt”. What is the song about?
- The main theme of the song is about loneliness and desolation. It was used as the ending track, since the cold and dismal atmosphere of the future appeared to depict the mood of the movie. I would like audiences to listen to it as the highlight track and overall summarisation of the movie “Time to Hunt”, which Primary took part in as music director.
Since the released of the new ron’s single, it seems that the first PAKTORY COMPANY's mixtape is in preparation, can you tell us more?
- Talented and vividly colored rookie artists are in work at the moment in PAKTORY COMPANY. We will introduce them and have their music go public through series of mixtapes. Please stay tuned.
“ If you are craving for a new and distinctive experience, I would like to ask you
to stay in touch with our news, and look forward to our projects. “
Thank you again for having us. To close this interview, is there something special you want to say about maybe the next label plans or maybe to the ones who already follow you?
- PAKTORY COMPANY will release various music produced by diversely colored artists through different formats. Moreover, we are not only preparing musical collaborations, but also different forms of such, with subculture artists from different fields. If you are craving for a new and distinctive experience, I would like to ask you to stay in touch with our news, and look forward to our projects. Thank you.
Founder, head of public relations, leader's team
Editor, Translator & Photographer